Tuesday 24 February 2015

Confession of a former wuss #Nurse

People who met me as an adult may not believe this post, but I used to be a major ass wuss when I was younger. Sure, now I can and will stand up for myself and others without backing down. When did I change from being a person whose opinion would vacillate depending on who I was around? I'd say it was when I became a nurse (My gutter mouth started up then too). 

Nurses have no time for being a pansy. We have patients to protect. With all that we have to deal with, it gets beaten right out of us, otherwise we end up leaving the profession. When I encounter a shy nursing student I warn him or her that shy nurses don't exist anywhere on this earth so they'd better snap out of it before it gets snapped out of them. (I say it in a nicer manner, though - I hope).

I don't tolerate weakness well because I know what it means to be pushed around by others and never expressing my own thoughts for fear of not being liked. This is why you won't read one of my heroine's as weak, unless she starts that way and gains strength as the book progresses. Hmmm, possible romance novel idea - feel free to add on if you'd like.

Were you ever a softie? When did you change.

6 comments:

  1. I was an introvert, and very shy when I was younger. I've definitely grown out of that stage...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good thing too. Can you imagine being that shy and sending books out?

      Delete
  2. Hrm. I dont know that I was ever a softie softie. I've always been opinionated. I'm more vocal about my opinions now though. Some due to age. Some due to blogging which pulled me out of some of my shell that I did have especially on certain topics.

    You definitely described the nurses I know :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. I think it's inherent in the profession, Anna. I wish I'd always been opinionated. It would have made life a little easier earlier in my life.

      Delete
  3. I used to be a major wuss when I was younger except when it came to my beliefs. I've definitely grown out of it and in some ways the pendulum has swung in the opposite direction in that if I have an opinion about something, I won't let up. I still can be a bit too forgiving or trusting though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an interesting phenomenon. As we grow older, we get more comfortable without ourselves. And this leads to more confidence. Life is good.

      Delete

I love reading your comments.